Recipe: Cheesy Broccoli, Cauliflower & Pasta Bake

Many years ago I worked as a mental health counselor for a couple of board & care facilities. Among the many duties we were supposed to perform was the great task of cooking for 18 people, sometimes up to 40 depending on whether we had something special planned for our clients. Needless to say, I got really good at cooking for a small army and prided myself in being the cook all of the clients wanted to make their meals for them (some of my coworkers were, sadly, not very adept in the kitchen). Unfortunately a lot of the recipes we worked from were not in the healthiest vein, partly because of what was donated to us and partly because there is only so much a non-profit can actually afford to buy. Still, there were wonderful things I ended up doing to pork loin and chicken (culinarily, of course, for my naughty-minded friends who read this) and I think the whole experience really helped me hone my Poor Girl skills long before I became said Girl.

The following recipe is a healthier adaptation of a very simple, non-rocket-science, easy-to-make casserole that my crisis house clients used to love, mainly because of the insane amount of cheese that was involved. I know, I know, I was just praising myself in my last post for my ability to get over the cheese addiction, but I didn’t say I was totally over my favorite dairy product! I can just control it better these days. :) Though this has a fair amount of cheese to be pleasing, I use non-fat milk, brown rice pasta and fresh broccoli & cauliflower to make up for the sinful stuff. The original version calls for about double this amount of cheese, a ton of white pasta and Velveeta (for crying out loud!), not to mention half a chicken or so, making it a caloric nightmare.

The excess of measurements alone also made the original a rather costly affair, the only redeeming quality being that I could make use of the vegetables I knew my clients wouldn’t eat otherwise (Moms & dads of finicky eaters, take note: this is one possible way to get those veggies into otherwise reluctant little mouths!). By reducing the amount of cheese, omitting the chicken and throwing in those vegetable remnants that sometimes get forgotten in the refrigerator drawers, this goes down not only in calories & fat grams, but in price as well. Of course, if you have some available and want to add a little bit of leftover chicken, by all means do so! But I wouldn’t suggest going out of your way to add it, unless you are looking to make this the entrée for your meal. This is a great meatless entree but works far better as a side in my opinion. Let’s check out this super-simple but comfort-foodie recipe.

Cheesy Broccoli, Cauliflower & Pasta Bake (makes 4 servings; total cost per serving: $1.10)

2 c cooked, al dente brown rice penne (whole wheat will also be fine if you can’t find brown rice pasta)
1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup
3/4 c nonfat milk
1/2 t granulated garlic
Salt & pepper to taste
3/4 c broccoli florets
3/4 c cauliflower florets
1 1/2 c reduced fat cheddar cheese, divided
Small amount of cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small saucepan combine the milk, cream of mushroom soup, garlic, and salt & pepper, and whisk together over medium low heat until smooth. Combine the pasta, broccoli, cauliflower and 3/4 c of cheese in a large bowl and add the mushroom soup, folding everything together so it’s evenly mixed. Lightly spray a 9″ x 12″ casserole dish with cooking spray and add the pasta & veggie mixture. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted & bubbly. Serve as a side or with a salad as a meatless entree and enjoy!

13 Responses to "Recipe: Cheesy Broccoli, Cauliflower & Pasta Bake"

1. Gina says:

Cheese is still my downfall. So is pasta! I have no self-control when the two are combined. I think this sounds delicious and will take the dive into more calories by adding chicken. Then I'll be looking forward to an hour of cardio to make myself feel better!

2. oddlyoddish says:

Omg, this sounds absolutely awesome~<3 I'm mainly stuck on the title, lol.

I am *so* gonna see about doing this when I get home :3

3. Bethany says:

Made this for dinner tonight – it was delicious. Made a coulpe changes based on what I have (cream of chicken soup instead of mushroom, added onions, 1% instead of nonfat milk, 3/4 c fat free cheddar, 3/4 c mozzarella). It was amazing – the cheesiest dinner I've had that was healthy in ages. :) I had two servings coming it 499 calories. Thanks for sharing. :)

4. laura says:

i am making this as we speak! as a vegetarian i was a little unsure i'd be able to do it since most cream of mushroom soups have chicken broth. luckily i was able to find an amy's soup that is vegetarian-friendly! just a tip for anyone else who needs to make it veggie-style.

5. luke says:

just made this, it's baking as i type. smells delicious!!

6. Bethany says:

I've had this twice now. Great go to meal… cheap to make and always has my coworkers drooling after I take it out of the microwave. :)

I added brussels sprouts and blue cheese and it was excellent!!! Highly recommend it – a huge pan of it didn't make it past the post bar munchies for a hungry group of folks :)

8. kg says:

Am I cooking all the veggies first, right?

9. Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well says:

@KG: No, the vegetables need to be raw. If you cook them beforehand, they will become really mushy onces everything is baked. You can probably get away with blanching them quickly, but that's about as far as I'd go. Good luck! :)

10. Bridges Limo says:

Nicely done. In this economy we need more recipes like this.

11. Josh says:

I’ve made this three times so far. The third attempt is cooking in the oven now and I added onions to it. Can’t wait to eat it!

12. Angie says:

I recently stumbled upon your site while looking for a fried rice recipe. As I was browsing around I found this recipe and had to try it. I used 2% milk (because it’s what we had) and added some chicken I had pulled off of a rotisserie chicken and served it as a main dish. It was really tasty! Comfortng :) . I made extra pasta (did use the white kind because it’s gentler on my GI tract), so I ended up with a much bigger portion that listed above with lots of leftover plain pasta to use for another recipe (yay!). I froze a smaller portion of the meal for a later date. Thanks for the recipe!

13. Kelly says:

Made this the other night and it’s fantastic. We turned it into a sort of tuna casserole by adding 2 cans of tuna. Got the protein and kept it cheap. So flipping good, will definitely be made again :)