Recipe: Creamy Navy Bean Soup with Chicken & Veggies

The other day I was firmly convinced I wanted white chicken chili. But then I realized that A) I neither had enough chicken to make this endeavor a true success and B) I really didn’t want the whole green chile flavor in my bowl. Not that I dislike this combo, I just wasn’t feelin’ it that particular day. Still, I wanted something creamy, bean-y (if it sounds like a word, it’s a word), and chicken-y, with a bit more substance than the average white chicken chili (and there are SO MANY of them out there it’s almost boring). Those of you who can neither stomach nor physically handle the green chile thing will appreciate this soup.

I had fun making this because I’m currently obsessed with pureeing everything. I’m not sure if I’m reverting to babyhood or something (I’m not, I promise), but I just really like mixing up random ingredients and turning them into something completely different. It’s art in its rawest form, if you ask me. Anyway, I thought it would be fun – not to mention far healthier – to create a creamy soup without using the heavy, fattening (and expensive) things like heavy whipping cream and a metric ton of butter. Hence the need to puree. Navy beans lend themselves beautifully to this type of recipe because of their naturally smooth flavor and they are very inexpensive, especially if you buy the dried beans versus the canned kind. Of course, you can definitely make this with canned beans if that’s all you have time for, but lately I’ve been making the switch to using dried beans and have noticed it doesn’t take that much extra time to prepare them (if you’re organized, of course). Not that I’m not drowning in extra time these days, but even when I was still working, I just made sure to soak the beans overnight and cook them while I was getting ready the following morning. Once these are cooked, everything else is super easy! I like to make a big batch and use them for different recipes too, so that’s another good way to cut back on any extra time spent in the kitchen.

For those of you who do not eat meat, simply omit the chicken and replace the chicken broth with veggie and you will also be able to partake of this comforting little soup/stew. Though there’s no dairy or cheese or any of that fun, delicious creaminess, this will still be a very warm and filling soup that anyone can enjoy. Plus, it has that added punch of all that extra fiber from the bean broth, not to mention a delicious, smooth texture broken up by all those chunky veggies and tender chicken. Okay, now I want another bowl! Let’s check out the recipe first.

Creamy Navy Bean Soup with Chicken & Veggies (makes 4-6 servings; total cost per serving: $1.25)

2 c dried navy beans (or any white beans if you don’t have access to navy) divided
1 c cooked chicken
1 1/2 c mire poix
1 c sweet peas
6-8 small red skinned potatoes, quartered
3 c + 1/2 c chicken or vegetable broth
1 large clove of garlic, minced
2 T olive oil, divided
1/2 t thyme
1/2 t tarragon
1/2 t ground black pepper
1/2 t sea salt
Small bread bowl for serving (optional)

Soak the navy beans in water for about 15-20 minutes, then cook for 35-40 minutes or until the beans are tender. Drain and remove 1 cup of the beans to use later in the recipe. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot and add the garlic. Cook just enough to bring out the aroma of the garlic, then add 1/2 cup of the mire poix and all the herbs & seasonings. Add the other cup of navy beans and cook until the mire poix veggies begin to soften, then add 3 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a low simmer for about 3 minutes then remove from heat. Using extreme caution, transfer the soup to a blender and puree until creamy and smooth.

In the same pot, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and add the potatoes. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned and tender on the inside (they should cook quickly as they’re such small pieces). Add the remaining mire poix and cook for about 2 minutes or until the carrots soften slightly, then add the chicken, the remaining beans, and the peas. Finally, add the creamy bean broth and bring the whole soup to a nice simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and allow to cook for about 5 more minutes to allow all the flavors to blend together. If needed, thin out the soup with the remaining chicken broth.

Serve generous amounts of soup in prepared bread bowls or in regular soup mugs, garnish with plenty of freshly ground black pepper, and enjoy!

16 Responses to "Recipe: Creamy Navy Bean Soup with Chicken & Veggies"

1. Sara says:

Wow that looks fantastic. What a great way to have creamy soup on a budget. I never thought about just pureeing beans, but that is such an obvious solution. I will be trying this one. Thank you.

2. brandi says:

all I've been wanting lately is bread bowls. this soup sounds like the perfect filling!

This sounds like a great soup! I can't wait to try it. I like to cook beans in my slow cooker — I soak them overnight and then pop them in the slow cooker when I leave for work and they're done when I get home.

4. Catherine says:

Your picture looks so wonderful! I love everything that you've put into this soup…it sounds scrumptious!

5. Denise says:

I'm always looking for a good bean recipe, but can you explain what mire poix is? Thanks :-)

6. 52kitchenadventures says:

Pureeing just beans is a great idea! I usually just puree the whole soup but I really like texture in my food so it gets boring fast. This is a perfect solution.

7. redkathy says:

Thick and creamy comfort soup, sounds fabulous. The price makes it more than perfect.

8. Traveler says:

Fantastic! With my unfortunate aversion to milk (I sacrifice for ice cream…it's ice cream for goodness sake!) I have avoided making creamy soups. This is such a great solution and far far healthier. I'm so glad you're around.

9. Sara says:

Just one question. You said to remove 1 cup of beans for later on in the recipe. When do you add that again?

10. Kimberly Alexandra says:

Sara, thanks for commenting! I'd forgotten to add that as one of the last things to add (w/the chicken and the peas), but I just fixed it, so the recipe should be all set.

Denise, I believe I described mire poix in the recipe, but if I didn't, it's basically equal amounts of diced celery, carrots, and onions (usually white or yellow). It's hands down the best base for

11. Virginia says:

About the mire poix, any suggestions for substitution for a family that actively dislikes celery?

12. Sara says:

@Virginia, blend up all of the celery when you do the first blending OR use leeks.

This soup was absolutely amazing! I substituted mushrooms for the chicken (because we're trying to stay with vegan ingredients) and yams for the red potatoes (because that's what we had in the house) and also added shallots to the mirepoix. This tasted fantastic. I loved how filling and creamy

13. Marj says:

I made this tonight but used a ham hock instead of chicken. It was GREAT. The pureed beans as a thickener is brilliant! THANKS.

14. Witch Hazel says:

That sounds really good! I was looking for a way to combine poultry and navy beans into a yummy soup or stew, ( cold weather! ) but wasn’t sure how I might combine them into something that would blend the ingredients at hand into something wonderful. I’m a Southern girl, so if it’s beans, it has pork…wanted to think outside the box, but wasn’t confident of any success using other than the same old things. I am going to use your recipe as an excellent base, using turkey, and turkey stock ,( beau coupe thanksgiving
    turkey leftovers in the freezer) and add some wild mushrooms I have gathered. Simple, delightful! I think it will be Sooo good! Thank you for a fine idea!

• Witch Hazel says:

Double post y’all! Sorry! =( But I’m still tickled with the recipe! Sara- you used sweet potatoes? I have fingerling sweets from the garden..how did those go with white beans? Did you treat them as the potatoes in Kimberly’s recipe, or puree them? Was it a clash of flavors or did it blend? Sorry, I am trying to teach myself to to cook and I know doodley…=P