Honestly, as I sit here nursing the sniffles and a sore throat on Labor Day, I am stunned that the unofficial end of summer is finally here. It seems like just a few weeks ago I was complaining about how unseasonably cold the month of May was (not that our summer was any better; it was awfully mild for Sacramento). Though I've stressed myself out to the point of my first cold of the season (sick people on planes didn't help much either), I'm still enjoying the whirlwind of activity and opportunities that this summer brought my way. Last month's International Food Blogger Conference only added to the excitement and my ever-growing To Do list, so that I'm almost grateful for my body telling me to slow the flock down and remember to relax every now & then. To help facilitate that and avoid missing any work because I'm sick, I'll keep this What's In Store post brief. Or as brief as I can possibly make it. ;)
- The remainder of my IFBC recap posts will be up in no time. I had to put them off to work on my first real book proposal (!!!!!!!!!), but since I'm still suffering from withdrawals and dreaming of lamb pops and bacon peanut brittle, the entire experience is still fresh in my mind. Look for those in the next day or so.
- The first of many photo makeovers are coming this month. I've done a few of these already but ever since we heard Penny De Los Santos, renowned photographer for Saveur Magazine, speak at the IFBC, I am completely obsessed with the idea of making better pictures. Those of you who have followed me since the very beginning have probably seen the quality of my photos improve over the past few years, but some of those earlier recipes are pretty damned good and I want them to have the proper photos to represent them.
- For the second year in a row, I will be participating in the San Francisco Food Bank's Hunger Challenge. Like last year, I'll be doing my best to eat on less than $4/day something which I found easier said than done despite my mad Poor Girl-ing abilities. My own experience on SNAP this winter will make this year's challenge a lot more personal, so I'm really looking forward to making this one count. Look for a special $15 Shopping Cart (!!!) next week to help me prepare for this exercise.
- Though there will definitely be some great new recipes, I'm using September as my month to catch up on some of the other things I've been meaning to post about but never had time to do. Food trucks, canning, and my interview with RN74's Chef Jason Berthold will all be featured this month.
- I am currently obsessed with canning since 'tis the season to buy stone fruit & figs. Look for some yummy jams & spreads to start popping up on PGEW!
- Lastly, I get to see No Reservations' Anthony Bourdain in just a couple of weeks! I'm not sure how much time there will be to ask questions, but in case I can ask more than a couple and there's something you're dying to ask him, simply comment below or send me an email and we'll see what happens!
That's it for now, folks! Have a fabulous, restful Labor Day and a happy September!