It’s finally starting to cool down and feel like October! As much as I adore the summer heat (all 14 days of it this year… hrmph), autumn is my most favorite season of all, so I’m actually glad it’s a little nippy this morning. And though I am officially unemployed again, I find myself busier than ever. Not only am I job-hunting like crazy, but I’m sure you’ve all noticed I’m in this little competition called Project Food Blog. It requires a TON of time & effort, but it’s really helping me to hone my cooking and blogging skills, challenge after challenge. (Speaking of which, if you haven’t done so yet, please check out my latest entry for Round 3 of the competition and cast your vote for yours truly. Thanks!)
There have also been different writing and speaking opportunities popping up here & there, a couple of which will hopefully turn into something lucrative enough to pay the bills. On a related note, I wanted to extend a huge, heartfelt THANK YOU to those of you who have donated and given me job leads. I truly appreciate your kindness and support! And for those businesses who have contacted me about my upcoming sponsorship program, rest assured that I’ve received your emails and will reply this week, now that I’ve finished that last Project Food Blog entry (that thing was a TON of work!).
But there is always time for food and other classic PGEW recipes & features. With all the great fall produce that’s starting to crop up everywhere, I’m hoping I’ll be able to snag some for next to nothing (especially while I job hunt!) and bring you some tasty new dishes. In the meantime, here’s what else is in store for October…
- More Project Food Blog. I know, I know, some of you may be tired of this already (though I really hope not!), but I’m doing this because I want to show folks what I can do and stretch my wings a little as a blogger and a cook. And of course, I could really, really, really use that $10,000 prize! With your help, the farther I go in this competition, the closer I am to that potential financial lifeline and you’ll be able to see what Poor Girl can really do.
- I’m sure many of you have seen this all over the place by now, but my awesome friend Andrew, author of Eating Rules, is doing something amazing this month: he’s put on a challenge for folks to try going for the entire month of October without any processed foods whatsoever. His October: Unprocessed pledge has been taken by several of my fellow food bloggers as well as many other folks, and yours truly will be contributing a guest post toward the end of the month to celebrate Halloween: Unprocessed. If you’re up for the challenge, please join us! Your body will love you for it. :)
- Beef lovers, rejoice! I was recently one of the lucky winners of the Foodie Blogroll‘s Hearst Ranch beef giveaway, so I have some amazing looking grass-fed beef just waiting to be turned into something spectacular. Be sure to stay tuned for some new beefy recipes throughout the next couple of months (they sent us a LOT!).
- I saw some sexy little butternut squashes at the Co-op the other day and now I can’t stop food-dreaming about them. When I turn those dreams into reality, I shall post about them and you can drool along with me.
- Now that I really have time, I can finish the rest of my catch-up posts for all of you. I had hoped to finish them last month, but that Project Food Blog thing is a real time-sucker! While I’m still on the job hunt, I’ll be sure to get those up here.
That’s all for now, folks! Coming up next will be a couple of the recipes from the chocolate-themed luxury dinner party I had last weekend for PFB! They will seriously change the way you think about chocolate. Have a fabulous October!