Recipe: Raspberry Black Forest Parfait Shots

Earlier this month I was invited to a friend’s housewarming party, so I decided to make some incredibly decadent, rich, fudgy brownies to share with everyone. Things were going beautifully at first: I’d made a fabulous batter, sensational aromas wafted from the kitchen into the rest of the apartment; in under an hour, I’d be in chocolate heaven.

Grinning with pleasure at the thought of brownies soon to be covered with thick, dark chocolate fudge frosting, I reached into the oven with pot-holder-clad hands and began to pull out my masterpiece. Suddenly, and for no real reason, as both StuKitty and Hana were peacefully sunbathing in the bedroom, I lost my hold on the pan.  Not wanting to get seriously burned, I just let it fall, thinking I’d only lose about a corner’s worth of brownies.  It wouldn’t be a total loss, I thought, because I’d just be cutting everything up into smaller cubes anyway.  No problem at all.

So down the pan fell, face down onto the oven rack, bouncing off the oven door, and finally, onto the floor, just inches away from my bare feet. Piping hot brownie pieces were everywhere – on the floor, in the blazing hot oven, on the fiery oven racks – everywhere but my pan. That thing was clean as a whistle (thanks, PAM for Baking!), and I wanted to cry.

Kitchen disasters.  They happen to the best of us.

After a few cleansing cuss words and deep breaths, I regrouped and carefully salvaged what I could for myself.  As I did so, a plan began to form. I knew I would still have to make something completely different for the party, but I had high hopes for my new culinary venture.  Since I pride myself in being the queen of kitchen resourcefulness, I was not going to let this get me down.  And so, the following dessert shot was born.

For those of you who don’t usually drop entire pans of brownies in your oven, this fabulous little recipe is actually a great way to make use of any normal leftover brownie pieces you may have.  Since it would hold up better in the layering process, I decided to use my standard no-bake cheesecake base instead of whipped cream in my version of this classic dessert.  I also used raspberries rather than the traditional cherries because that’s what I had on hand, but either fruit would be fabulous in this.  As with all my dessert shots, this is a great way to enjoy a sweet treat after a nice meal without the extra guilt of a giant dessert.  And because they’re so tiny, a few ingredients will go a long way, making it easy to serve several without spending a fortune.

Hooray for tasty, affordable, kitchen disasters!

Raspberry Black Forest Parfait Shots (makes about 10 shots; total cost per shot: $0.80)

1 cup crumbled brownie pieces
1 c frozen raspberries, thawed
1/3 c sugar
1 8 oz. package light cream cheese, softened
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 c lemon juice
1 t vanilla extract

Other:
10 1-2 oz. shot glasses

Combine the raspberries & sugar in a bowl and toss together.  Mash the raspberries slightly with a fork, and set aside to allow them to create their own syrup while you prepare the cheesecake base.

Using an electric mixer, whip the cream cheese in a large bowl.  Add the sweetened condensed milk & vanilla extract and mix together at medium speed until smooth.  Add the lemon juice and mix for another 20-30 seconds until the mixture has thickened slightly.

Assemble your parfait shots by pressing about 1 tablespoon of brownie crumbles into the bottom of each shot glass.  Next, add about a tablespoon of raspberries, followed by a tablespoon of cheesecake mixture.  Continue layering until each glass is full, and garnish each one with extra brownie crumbles.  (Feel free to reverse the layers of cheesecake & raspberries for different looks & flavor combinations.)  Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, and enjoy!

18 Responses to "Recipe: Raspberry Black Forest Parfait Shots"

1. yellowfish says:

Wow, way to salvage a baking disaster… these look even more exciting than normal brownies, they're going on my must-bake list…

2. syd says:

Wait, you served people food that had been on your floor? You said the pan was clean as a whistle, which means that the brownie pieces in these parfaits were picked up off your kitchen floor. I know you're on a limited budget, but that's just disgusting.

3. Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well says:

Um, no. I SPECIFICALLY stated that I ended up having to make something DIFFERENT for the party. I also stated that I salvaged what I could. That cup of brownie crumbles in the recipe? That's all I was able to save that was actually edible. The shots ended up being for me, but I still don't eat food off the floor.

Next time, please read the post more carefully.

4. Lizzy says:

Oooh, good move! Your parfaits are even more impressive than brownies!

After reading this article I didn't have the impression that you salvaged food off the floor.
    Unfortunately this person didn't take the time to read before posting……

6. Katrina says:

Yay for you! I might have crumbled into a heap on the kitchen floor with thte brownie pieces! But you made a masterpiece! Really – these are stunning. Hooray! ♥- Katrina

7. The Cilantropist says:

Good to know that I am not the only one having kitchen disasters (which happen more frequently than I would like to admit), but I am very impressed with the creative way you used your brownie crumbs! This would be a great dessert even sans disaster. :)

8. Maggie P. says:

Hey syd, don't you read? She said there were pieces of brownies in her oven and on the racks. I know I would try to save the pieces that were in the oven. It says she made something different for the party too. Why don't you read what she wrote before being so rude?

Kim, these look awesome! I'm going to try these this weekend. Thanks for the recipie!

9. Lauren says:

Syd's a troll.
    Those look BEAUTIFUL!

Kimberly the humanoid who wrote about you using food from the floor doesn't know how to READ so that is why he said that ( HOW VERY SAD !!!! )

11. Gloria says:

Kimberly your Brain REALLY works over time when you make mistakes like that I simply LOVE IT !!!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. cass says:

What did you make for the party?

13. ravienomnoms says:

Well I think your disaster ended up turning into something great! Those look so wonderful

14. Joy says:

That looks wonderful. I am loving the little shots.

15. Brooks Walker says:

I feel the pain you experienced with the dropped brownies and you're right, a couple of choice expletives can thwart a full throttle melt down. You are to be applauded because in the end, you came up with gorgeous resolution which I'm sure was fabulous to eat. Brava!

16. Veronica Gantley says:

So many shots such little time.

17. Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well says:

@Cass – I ended up making a few dozen deviled eggs using my mom's recipe! My local Safeway had a good buy-one-get-one-free deal at that time, so I had plenty to play with. :)

@everyone else – thanks so much! They really were quite tasty, and it was nice to know I had a tiny dessert to enjoy after dinner for a few nights, too. :)

18. veggietestkitchen says:

Oh! I hate when something happens to my food and I have to throw it away! Throwing away food you made is the hardest thing to do, I totally understand your frustration. At least you got a great idea out of it. Cheers.