Yeah, that's right: October is finally here and so far, it feels good! Sure, there's supposed to be some pesky rain (you all know how I feel about the wet stuff... I swear I'm part cat sometimes), but it's actually somewhat welcome. As much as I prefer sunny days, I have to admit I'm ready for boots and sweaters and many, many hours making baked goods.
But before all that, there's other great stuff to look forward to this October! Let's check out what's in store this month...
- First & foremost, I wanted to thank everyone who voted for me in the Sacramento News & Review's Best of Sacramento awards last month! Your votes helped PGEW land the 3rd spot in the Best Blog category - and it was the only food blog in the bunch! It was a very unexpected, pleasant surprise and I truly appreciate it. Thanks for all your support!
- Remember that $25 Shopping Cart I wanted to do last month? Well, a very interesting opportunity arose that caused me to postpone that post until now; and I'm glad I did. If it hadn't been for the lessons I learned from a very wise shopper, I wouldn't have done as well as I did. Stay tuned for that story later this week - it's a good one!
- October is Unprocessed Month over at my friend Andrew's site, Eating Rules, and I'm proud to be a part of it! For the second year in a row, Andrew is challenging folks across the nation to go an entire month eating no processed foods. Yours truly has been given the chance to write a guest post for Unprocessed month to discuss how to eat unprocessed on a shoestring budget. It's a wonderful exercise in awareness and cleaner eating, and I encourage everyone to give it a try, even if it's just for a week. You won't regret it!
- Winter squash season is a-comin'! And in some stores it's already here. You know I can't resist squash in any form, and this fall it's no different. From baked goods to baking the whole darned thing, be sure to check in for some great late summer & early fall squash recipes. (Psst! And they're all unprocessed, too!)
- As the temperatures dip, my desire for soup grows by leaps & bounds. I'll be making a couple new soup recipes this month that will use up the last of the summer veggies I have on hand. What are some of your favorite autumn soups?
- I have a couple of photo makeovers for you this month, too. From one of my easiest salads to one of my very first desserts, stay tuned for some much better pictures of two wonderful recipes from the archives.
There'll be much, much more, so be sure to check back often this month! Have a wonderful October, everyone!