It’s official! Poor Girl Eats Well is writing her first real book!

Well, folks, we did it! In just forty days we raised enough money to get my first real PGEW book – the book I’ve wanted to share with you for the past 3.5 years – published, printed & sold to the masses. To put into words exactly how I feel about all of this is difficult even for someone like me, who is always ready with (more than) plenty of words.

Suffice it to say that I’m not only ecstatic, giddy, and beyond excited to get this project going for real, I’m also humbled, amazed and ridiculously grateful (See? Told ya I had plenty of words…). The incredible response, the support, the encouragement I received from all who helped with this campaign is just… well, overwhelming.

Overwhelmingly good.

So what’s next, you may ask? Well… a lot! To say I have my work cut out for me is quite an understatement. Though a lot of the book is already being written, there is still a ton of recipe testing, tip-writing, etc. to be done, not to mention the 188 dozen cookies to bake (!!!) and 230 books to sign (!!!!!!!!) for all you fantastic backers.

But I know what I have to do, and that is to create the best first book I possibly can. However, I’ve received a lot of the same post-Kickstarter questions from a lot of folks, so I wanted to take a moment and address some of those, to ensure we’re all on the same page.

Question 1: Does the book come out in July?

A1: No, it does not. I know there was a lot going on, so some of you might have missed my “We’re almost there!” video from last week where I addressed this and a few other questions. Because there was no way to specify two different due dates on the Kickstarter page, we were only able to use the dates the incentives could be shipped out. The book itself still needs to be completed, printed, published & released, and those things all take time. My goal date for the book to be ready is December 1, 2012, so you can get it just in time for the holidays.  The incentives, like cookies, aprons, bags, etc., can all go out by the quoted dates on Kickstarter, to give you something to nosh on or use, while you wait for the book. : )

Question 2: I missed the deadline/forgot to pledge/didn’t know until it was too late/was not comfortable using Kickstarter, but still want to be a backer. Can I still do that?

A2: First of all, thank you for wanting to pledge your support! You won’t be able to do so through Kickstarter, but I have received enough inquiries about this that I didn’t want to leave these folks behind. If you would still like to help support this project and receive some of the same incentives offered through Kickstarter, here’s what to do: 1) Follow this link, review the pledging tiers, and decide at which level you’d like to become a backer; 2) click on the PayPal “Donate” button on the right sidebar and follow the instructions to make your donation; 3) (The most important step) In the memo, please clearly write the following: “PGEW Book Kickstarter Project – $___ level” (and insert your funding amount there). This way I can make a note that your donation is specifically for the book and nothing else, and I can get you the same goodies.

IMPORTANT: Because this is a HUGE project to take on (not just the actual writing of the book, but the logistics in coordinating incentives, etc.), I can only extend this offer through next Friday, May 25th. So if you would still like to back the book project, there’s some time, just not too much. : )

Question 3: I still can’t afford to be a backer right now; is the book going to be for sale anywhere?

A3: YES!!! That’s the whole idea of writing it to begin with! I want as many people as possible to have access to purchasing this book, so it will definitely be offered for sale on various sites. As the release date & details get closer, I’ll post the info to keep you up to speed. In the meantime, rest assured that you will be able to buy this book after December 1st, right here on Poor Girl Eats Well.

Question 4: I think I read somewhere that this was going to be more than a cookbook. What does that mean?

A4: Exactly what it says! As I mentioned in the Kickstarter videos and in my post about the project, I have always had a vision for my first book, and that is not to write just another cookbook. Not that a cookbook is a bad thing, but the recipes alone are not really what Poor Girl Eats Well is all about. Over the years they have taken over the majority of the site (which is quite flattering, as it means you guys like my grub, lol), but PGEW is about learning. Learning to make that grocery dollar stretch as far as possible without compromising on taste or nutrition; learning to make the most of what you already have at home; learning how to look at “eating on a budget” in a totally different way – the recipes are just a delicious bonus that comes after learning all those good things.

Because one thing is having a nice collection of recipes that are inexpensive; it’s quite another to know how to get to the point where most things you make are wallet-friendly. And that is what I am going to be sharing with you in my new book. Well, that and a delicious set of brand new recipes, and some of your favorites from right here on the site.

* * * * *

Which brings me to my question for you (don’t you just love perfect segues?), and I want to see the comments section below this post filled with answers!

Which existing PoorGirlEatsWell.com recipe(s) would you like to see featured in the PGEW.com Favorites section of the new Poor Girl Eats Well book?

Please leave your answers in the comments below.  Name one, name 15, name ‘em all!  I can’t guarantee all of them will make it in there (there are a few hundred, after all…); I just want your input, because this section is really all about YOU.  I have plenty of new recipes up my sleeve (which I am DYING to share with you, but I’m exercising restraint), but you’re the ones who have made certain recipes extremely popular because they’re your favorites. So, tell me what you’d like to see in the PGEW.com Favorites section, and it just might end up in the book!

I think I’ve covered everything! If you have any other questions, please send ‘em over and I’ll do my best to answer them individually or in a post. Oh, and locals who have so generously offered to help me bake cookies… stay tuned here & on Facebook! I’ll probably be taking you up on that offer soon. : )

Thanks once again for all of your extreme generosity and support for this project. You really know how to make a gal feel special, you know that? *sniff, sniff*

New recipe – featuring rhubarb, no less! – coming up next!

25 Responses to "It’s official! Poor Girl Eats Well is writing her first real book!"

1. The Duo Dishes says:

Wow, congrats!!!! Huge kudos to you! Here’s hoping the book writing process is a beautiful and rewarding time. :)

2. Cathy Prince says:

My favorite recipe is the Lentil and Sweet Pepper Tacos. They’re so easy and fast – I make them at least twice a month and take them to work for lunch. Then I have them again for dinner. And maybe lunch the next day if I’m lucky. Love ‘em!

3. Tina says:

My favorite recipe of yours, hands down, is the Spicy White Bean, Beef and Amaranth Soup with Tomatoes and Kale. I send my friends to your site for that recipe, and I know several who have fallen in love with it as well (and have remained faithful readers!). It’s a staple in my house, that’s for sure. :)

Congrats on the book!

• Kimberly Morales says:

Thanks, Tina! And yessssss, that soup is SO tasty! Perfect cold weather soup, but I think it’s good year ’round. I wonder if I have amaranth in my cupboard right now……. ;)

Thanks for the support & the suggestion! :D

4. Betsy says:

Congrats! For my part, I vote for the quinoa, spinach and shrimp salad, which is the BEST FOOD EVER INVENTED. Also, the chicken & guacamole wraps.

• Kimberly Morales says:

Oh, Betsy, I’m so glad you like that one! It’s very near & dear to my heart but I didn’t think anyone but me had actually made it, lol. Glad to know someone else loves it! I’ll see what I can do about squeezing it into the new book. :D

5. TQ says:

Congrat, bought one and got a few good classmates from CSUS to contribute to kickstarter as well. You should organize a book signing at avid, time tested or barnes and noble if you haven’t already. It is great thing to see a local make good.

6. Megan says:

Congrats! I am obsessed with the kale chickpea salad. Probably the best food ever created. Can’t wait for the cookbook!

• Kimberly Morales says:

Thanks, Megan! I’m obsessed with that salad, too. I think my favorite farmers’ market vendor has become the equivalent of my “dealer”, only he sells me copious amounts of kale vs. something worse, lol!

7. Kristen says:

I’m one of the local volunteers… I’m not on Facebook (shocking, I know!), so just drop me an email and let me know when and where!! :)

8. Ally says:

I am so glad everything is working out for you! And very proud to be a part of such a great project. You are a wunderkind with flavors and budgeting! My all time favorite recipes are two of the flank steak ones: Black Bean & Steak Fajita Soup and marinated flank steak tacos. That soup is just the best soup ever. And the taco marinade is so unique and tasyty. Yum. And congrats again@!

• Kimberly Morales says:

Awww, thanks so much, Ally! That’s so sweet of you to say! And thanks for reminding me about that soup… I remember it being quite good but haven’t revisited it in ages! I think now’s the time to fix that. ;)

9. Megan says:

Please include your scallion pesto recipe and your no-maker-required ice cream recipes!!!

• Kimberly Morales says:

There are a good 2-3 no-maker-required ice cream recipes in the works for the book, so you’re in luck, Megan! I’ll see what I can do about the scallion pesto… such a great little recipe! Thanks for the feedback! :D

10. Louise says:

I’d be surprised if you get very many duplicate requests. We all just love so many different things. Congratulations and I can’t wait to see the final product. One recipe that I think deserves a place in your new book is the Red Quinoa, Apple & Cranberry Cake with Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting. A gal needs dessert–even on a budget–right?

11. Michelle says:

I love every recipe I’ve tried. However, my hands-down favorite is Recipe: Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad with Honey-Dijon Vinaigrette. I love brussels sprouts and I LOVE this recipe.

12. cindi bowden says:

I would love to see a section on easy to make things that freeze well. I have MS and it saves me lots of time to be able to make things in bigger batches and freeze them for using on days I am not able to cook. Keeps me from heading to Fast food places

13. Sherry Bailey says:

Ms. Kimberly! I’m a librarian. (So I’m always low on funds, too.) I hope to buy a copy of your book, but more importantly, I think MY LIBRARY should buy a copy of your book. (Some authors worry that library copies undermine selling to People, but actually it’s great publicity — people read the library copy, can’t live without it and buy their own.) Anyhow, I think you should do two things. I am thinking you are probably self-publishing, not going through a regular publisher, right? If so, check around for a distributor of self published and small press books to publicize and sell for you. Also, have them (or do this yourself) send a copy of the book to one or two of the review journals, like Kirkus Review and Library Journal or Booklist. A positive review almost assures a number of orders! Then you can go into reprints and start your publishing empire! I think your content, from popping into your blog when I have time, is something library users will love! (And unlike any other “cookery” books I am aware of! Especially the smart shopping and nutrition aspects.) Good Luck with your project!

14. Liz Crittenden says:

I’d have to say these are my favorite recipes, the French Toast BLT (love), Red Quinoa & Spring Herb Tabbouleh, Super Simple Tomato & Corn Salad, Spinach-Artichoke Pesto Pasta with Tomatoes & Sweet Peas (love also) and Spicy Thai Basil Beef.