Photo Friday: An Unexpected Gift

I’ve had a rough couple weeks. Changes in weather causing the current extreme heat have wreaked havoc with my PHN, so severe pain flare-ups have been frequent and awful. On Wednesday afternoon, I was curled around an ice pack (the only thing that helps numb the pain somewhat) when the doorbell rang. Muttering a string of curse words that would make a drunken sailor proud, I headed downstairs to see who had disturbed me from my comfy zone. It was my friendly UPS driver with a package from someplace in Massachusetts.

When I got back to my little home and opened the package, I was greeted with a slick black box with an envelope taped to the top. I saw the word “REBEL” in that telltale writing and started to tremble. What the hell? Did my cats go on an online shopping spree while I was asleep? Was there an evil invoice in that envelope for one of those faux “You’ve WON! (Now send us $19704361.98)” scams? Was that reeeeeally a Canon Rebel???

Definitely NOT a Canon shot (and please pardon my grungy table), but fortunately, not an evil invoice, either. Seriously one of the nicest things I've ever read.

Needless to say, I wasn’t expecting that. Not the camera, not the mysterious envelope, not the incredibly sweet note on the inside, all typed up and unsigned, taped onto a card, probably so I wouldn’t be able to recognize handwriting, though I know absolutely no one in Tewksbury, MA (Boston, yes, but Tewksbury? I’m not even sure if that’s near Beantown or not).

What in the world would possess a complete stranger to do this for another stranger? Basic human kindness and an enormous capacity to give to others is all I can come up with right now. Two days later, my jaw has still not completely reset itself from having come unhinged when I opened that box.

So far, no one’s answered my call for action to let me know who my camera fairy godmother/father is (though I have received a few messages from folks who said they’ve wanted to do something similar, and that’s just as overwhelming & touching; really, you guys choke me up with your kindness).  I still have my suspicions that it could be an East Coast friend that doesn’t want to ‘fess up, but maybe it actually was a stranger who sent this.

But maybe that’s how they want it. Some people give for the joy of giving and never want anything in return – which is how giving should go (a lot of people seem to forget that nowadays). My benefactor is obviously that kind of person. Regardless, I could never have imagined a gift such as this, especially while I go through this book-writing journey in which I’m also the photographer.

I have a lot of studying to do, of course, since I’ve never taken a photography class and have never owned an SLR camera until now. But I’m confident that through continued practice, I will grasp how to use this puppy to its full potential. For now, here are some of the shots I’ve taken as I get to know this new baby of mine…

StuKitty - usually an unwilling photo subject, but a little confused by Mommy's big new toy...

To “A PGEW Fan”: Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for this incredible gift and gesture. You have no idea what you’ve done for me and my site. And since I’ll probably never know who you are, I will simply show you my gratitude in awesome photo form. I still have a long way to go to get there, but you’ve just given me a huge boost in the right direction.

Stay tuned for a brand new, dad-friendly recipe this weekend, just in time for Father’s Day! We’ll see if I’m brave enough to shoot it with this new camera. If not, I promise it’ll still be good lookin’ and great tasting!

8 Responses to "Photo Friday: An Unexpected Gift"

1. Dinah says:

WOW what an amazing gift! I would have been sobbing after reading that letter. Thank you “A PGEW Fan” for making this blog even more drool-worthy :)

2. xpurg8d says:

What a lovely thing. And it’s good that you realize the gift is something that should just be appreciated and used and the sender knows how much it means to you without receiving anything in return — that is, indeed, what giving is supposed to be. The joy is in seeing you enjoy it.

This just made my day. Thank you from the rest of us to your benefactor, not just because it allows someone who brings much pleasure to others through the blog to continue in fine style, but because it makes everyone feel better about the world.

3. Gloria Morales says:

I will like to THANK the GOOD SAMARITAN that sent such a lovely gift to the person who has dreamed about a CANNON CAMERA for several years now but couldn’t afford it, as the person who is writing this has also tried and fail to do so for years too( LUCK of FUNDS). I’ll keep you in my prayers for ever GOD BLESS YOU and may you win the biggest LOTTO EVER.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Bev says:

Kimberly,

You are getting a real good start with that camera. Those photos are beautiful! You have a knack for composition–which is all important as a photographer.

5. Sunny says:

How wonderful that you could be on the receiving end of such a great surprise. Random acts of kindness really makes the world a truly great place to live. Reading about your good fortune made my day.

6. ania says:

What a lovely, lovely thing.

Yay, for Proper Human Beings!

7. pattilouwho says:

such an amazing amount of generosity! congrats! you definitely deserve it and I can see improvement in the photos already!

8. Karie says:

I just found your blog today and I must say I am thrilled! What a great blog you have…..I will throw in my thank you to the good samaritan as well…There are really nice people in the world and it is nice for us to be a part of it….My birthday is in January and I will be turning 47 years old…I have challenged all of my family and friends to do as many acts of kindness as they are old….And yes that means to smile, hold a door for someone but I want them to go furthe then that…Really make a difference…So on that note it was really nice to see this today!

BTW the top picture is mouthwatering! Can you tell me what it is and where to find the recipe….

A new fan,