I. Thinking of PGEW about the Mardi Gras Menu Ideas
Ahh, Mardi Gras Menu Ideas. A Mardi Gras – otherwise known as “Fat Tuesday”, Mardi Gras is the last day before the season of Lent begins. Since Lent is a time of self-reflection through sacrifice – traditionally the sacrifice of richer, more indulgent foods – the day before is a time to celebrate and all excess with reckless abandon.
Most people tend to think of New Orleans during Mardi Gras, and with good reason: NOLA peeps are the ones who celebrate it best. In New Orleans, the celebration & revelry start a good two weeks before the actual Mardi Gras holiday arrives, with happy folks indulging in the parties, parades, and of course, all that incredible food.
But just because they do Mardi Gras best in NOLA doesn’t mean one is bound to indulging in spicy, flavorful Cajun & Creole food and mounds of King Cake. In the UK & Australia, folks are celebrating Shrove Tuesday with Pancake Day (though the traditional UK pancakes are much closer to crepes than our fluffy ol’ American pancakes), and other countries are celebrating with their own traditional foods.
Though I’m still in the process of moving to my new apartment (all the way upstairs… I travel far), I still wanted to stop by PGEW and share a few Fat Tuesday recipes, for those of you who might want to celebrate this most fabulous day of excess. But because the closest thing I have to New Orleans style food on PGEW is my Farro & Red Beans with Caramelized Onions, I figured I’d share a few of my favorite crepes with you instead…
II. Lists of Mardi Gras Menu Ideas
1. Apple-Stuffed Crepes with Caramel Sauce
2. The Ultimate Fresh Strawberry Crepe
3. Herbed Chicken Crepes with Fresh Rosemary Cream Sauce
4. Fresh Blueberry Crepes
5. Tropical Fruit Crepes with Zabaglione
6. Raspberry Black Forest Parfait Shots
7. Kiwi-Basil Granita
8. Mixed Plum Tart with Almond Crust
9. Chewy Apple-Chamomile Cookies
10. Spiced Butternut & Quinoa Muffins with Almond Streusel
Main Dishes …
11. Guacamole Omelette
12. Spicy Baked Falafel Sandwiches with Homemade Tzatziki
13. Baked Eggs & Herbs in Portabella Mushroom Caps
14. Linguine with Creamy Scallion Pesto
15. Scrappy Veggie Stock
I hope you enjoy these! Don’t forget to stay tuned this week for some fabulous guest posts from three terrific bloggers. I’ll be back with new PGEW recipes (including some new crepes) from my tiny new kitchen next week!