So yesterday I had the awesome opportunity to hang out with Mark S. Allen (of Mark @ The Movies, Short Attention Span Theater, and Scratch fame, among a zillion other things) for a live spot on his current show, Good Day Sacramento. His mission? To find out where Poor Girl goes to eat well when she can actually afford to dine somewhere other than her humble abode. My mission? To narrow the field down to just three restaurants. Methinks Mark had an easier task!
I chose restaurants that get my repeated business for a number of reasons: quality of food, quality of service, and overall value. As much as I enjoy low prices, I am also a fan of great value, so if I have to pay a wee bit extra for something fabulous and I can actually afford to do so, I will.
But I also wanted to keep things interesting, so I made sure we got to sample different cuisines. On our menu for that morning: Thai food from Boon Boon Cafe, homestyle Mexican eats from Pancho’s Cocina Mexicana, and some fabulous Italian style pizza with plenty of California flair from Hot Italian.
Except for Hot Italian, Mark hadn’t been to the places I’d chosen, so I was interested to see what he thought about my recommendations. I’m happy to report that so far, I’m 3 for 3. He loved everything! Here are links to the clips from yesterday’s show*:
- Poor Girl chats live with Mark S. Allen & the rest of the Good Day Sacramento team about PGEW.com and the restaurant hopping ahead…
- Poor Girl takes Mark to Boon Boon Cafe for some sumptuous Roasted Duck Curry and Spicy Basil Beef.
- Poor Girl & Mark head over to Pancho’s Cocina Mexicana to try a giant bowl of homestyle Mexican chicken soup for a teeny tiny price.
- Mark decides he’d rather eat than talk, so he hands things over to Poor Girl (!!!) while he enjoys two fabulous pizzas from Hot Italian.
* I was hoping to feature the actual videos on here, but the embedded player thingie wouldn’t work. 🙁
As you can see, we had an absolute blast sampling such fantastic foods from these local restaurants (and I have to admit, I felt very comfortable with that microphone in my hand. I wonder if Mark’s up for a vacation soon so I can fill in….. J)! Mark is beyond fun to work with, and all of the restaurant proprietors & staff were incredibly gracious.
Thanks again to Boon Boon Cafe, Pancho’s Cocina Mexicana, and Hot Italian for opening their doors to us so early and letting us take over their restaurants for awhile! And a zillion thanks to Mark S. Allen and everyone at Good Day Sacramento for having me on the show. Hopefully, we can do this again soon, because I still have plenty of fabulous restaurants to share with everyone. And who knows? Maybe I can cook something for the folks in the studio sometime, so they can see how tasty things are over at Chez Poor Girl. 😉
- Boon Boon Cafe – 3022 Stockton Blvd., Sacramento, CA
- Pancho’s Cocina Mexicana – 2026 Broadway, Sacramento, CA
Hot Italian – 1627 16th Street, Sacramento, CA