Skillet Chicken And Mushroom Wine Sauce
For The Chicken
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
For The Sauce
- 12 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and thickly sliced
- 4 tbsps unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large shallots, sliced thin
- 1.5 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp cornstarch to dissolve
- 2 tbsp chicken broth or water
- Use paper towels to pat the boneless skinless chicken breasts. Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally into cutlets. Another way is you can place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them to an even 1/2-inch thickness.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a shallow bowl and mix them. Set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium until the butter is melted. Drip 3 chicken cutlets in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess flour. Add the flour-coated chicken to the deep skillet. Fry for about 5 minutes until chicken cutlets are browned, then turn chicken and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken to a dish and cover to keep them warm.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp butter to the skillet. Heat until butter is melted. Add the sliced mushrooms into the skillet and cook until the mushrooms are very dark on one side. Stir and turn the mushrooms. Continue to cook for about 4 minutes until the mushrooms have softened and been well golden.
- Cook the sliced shallots in the skillet until the shallots soften and start to brown. Continue to add the minced garlic and sauté the mixture until fragrant.
- Pour white wine into the skillet to deglaze. Add fresh thyme, chicken broth, Dijon mustard, and heavy cream. Boil the mixture and cook for 5 minutes. Then stir in the dissolved cornstarch. Simmer the sauce and add the cooked chicken into the skillet of sauce. Heat over low heat for 5 minutes until the sauce thickened. Remove the thyme sprigs from the chicken breasts. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle a little parsley or thyme and serve with rice, potatoes, or pasta.
- To slice chicken breasts into cutlets easier, put the single breasts layer in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Any dry white wine will be perfect for this sauce. I typically use a Chardonnay for this chicken and mushroom recipe. If you don't drink wine, you can try other great options, such as white grape juice or chicken broth.
- Do you prefer more sauce/gravy in the chicken and mushroom recipes? Why don't you add double the ingredients such as 2 extra tbsp of butter in step 4? Then double the other ingredients, for example, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, white wine, thyme, chicken broth, mustard, and cream. Enjoy!
- Make sure the mushrooms are perfectly browned on one side before turning for the best color and taste. Once turned, cook until mushrooms release moisture and the liquid evaporates before sautéing with the shallots.
Your Own Notes
Related Recipe: Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms Sauce