Recipe: The "Spanglish" Sandwich

You all know that movie, “Spanglish”, right? Came out a few years ago, with Adam Sandler, the impossibly (and unfairly) gorgeous Paz Vega, and that sandwich? Seriously… as charming and funny as the movie is, the real star of the show (in my opinion) is Thomas Keller’s sandwich, appropriately named “The World’s Greatest Sandwich”. It only has about a 25 second cameo in the film but it’s all I can think about, even 5 days after returning the video to Netflix. Such was the all-consuming desire to partake of this deliciousness that I did the unforgivable: I ate bacon, a food I know most people adore but from which I try to distance myself as much as possible because there’s just nothing good for you in there at all (‘cept for the delicious flavor).

Now, most of you PGEW veterans know that 98% of my recipe posts are creations made by yours truly. The other 2% is divvied up between stuff my mom & dad have made and stuff that I’ve obsessed over from certain restaurants. What can I say, I like making up my own stuff. But there are just certain dishes that MUST be recreated and this sandwich is certainly one of them. Of course, I made some adjustments to suit my personal tastes and budget, but it’s still fab. The first time I made this was a revolution for me because I actually got the “ooze” right; unfortunately, I was so enthralled with the idea of eating the darned thing that I forgot to take a picture. Then I couldn’t seem to get the timing right in terms of having the cheese be all melty-gooey and the egg yolk perfectly saucy. Today, in honor of the fact that I am one of 5 people in the United States who will NOT be hosting or attending a Superbowl party, I set out to make this thing right AND good looking, once & for all.

The best part of this sandwich? It really does fit the Poor Girl style of cooking, in that it utilizes a lot of what would be found in my – and most folks’ – fridges and the fact that there’s nothing overly fancy ingredient-wise, cutting down on the cost. The only things I didn’t have to make this exactly like Thomas Keller would do, were butter lettuce and true Pain de Campagne. But I’m never without baby spinach (at least, I try not to be) and I still had about half a loaf of good sourdough, so I was able to make due with what I had. I even had Monterey Jack cheese AND bacon, which doesn’t always happen (the first couple times I made this I used cheddar and ham it was still divine). Courtesy of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I had some Eggland’s Best Eggs to make things even more scrumptious, and since I’m not the biggest mayo fan (unless I make my own and I wasn’t feelin’ up to it), I just doubled up on the cheese, tee hee. Still, it just goes to show that even the most famous chefs will use the most basic ingredients they have to make amazing foods, just like yours truly likes to do. Let’s check this one out.

The “Spanglish” Sandwich (makes 1 sandwich as written; total cost per sandwich: ~ $2.85)

2 slices of pain de campagne (or a good quality crusty mild sourdough)
3-4 slices of bacon
3 slices of tomato
1/2 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6-7 leaves of baby spinach (or 2-3 small leaves of butter lettuce)
1 large egg
Cooking spray (or butter if you really have to have it, but isn’t this sandwich sinful enough without it?)Prepare the broiler. In a medium fry pan cook the bacon until crisp and drain completely on a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside. Place equal amounts of cheese on each slice of bread and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted & slightly bubbly. While that’s broiling, spray a small pan with cooking spray and cook the egg until the yolk is slightly set but not completely cooked through (remember, this needs to “ooze” like a sauce at the end).Remove the cheesy bread from the broiler and assemble the sandwich by layering the bacon strips, tomato slices and greens on one of the slices of bread. Slide the fried egg onto the other half, put the two together and cut the sandwich in half, allowing the egg yolk to ooze out and create a simple sauce. Grab plenty of napkins, pour yourself a beer like Adam Sandler (or wine, as Poor Girl prefers) and enjoy!

17 Responses to "Recipe: The "Spanglish" Sandwich"

1. Jaime Santos-Prowse says:

Oh goodness. Need. to. make. ASAP.

Also, I'm one in that five, and it's nice to see another food blogger who is among that five.

2. Jennifer@womanvfood says:

This is so funny to me! I teach EFL and last year I watched Spanglish with my students…I have a lot of classes so I ended up watching it over and over…needless to say I was eating a lot of egg sandwiches that week!

3. brandi says:

I haven't seen Spanglish, but this is one more reason to watch the movie.

Bacon + eggs together on a sandwich? count me in. This sounds amazing!

And bacon is always worth the fat ;)

4. Tasty Eats At Home says:

Mm….I could totally get into this sandwich.

5. 52kitchenadventures says:

this sounds GOOD! anything with bacon is good, but add in cheese and oozey egg too? YUM. I need to try this.

Your blog is a godsend to me because I am also currently unemployed, but I will be remembering your contribution to my sanity and good eats at reasonable prices when I, too, come into my own.

Goes without saying, really, that I am wishing you the best of luck with your interviews. I think I speak for all your readers when I say whoever hires you is one lucky employer! Your intelligence

This makes me want to watch Spanglish again! It is a fun movie, and I remember that sandwich, lol. When Adam's character cut it in half perfectly, and the egg just oozed down the middle…yum. I felt bad when the argument with Paz separated him from that sandwich.

8. anna kiss says:

We went on a big kick with these sandwiches when we saw Spanglish in the theaters. Ate them regularly for months. Delish! I believe we were vegetarian at the time as well and used fake bacon in lieu of real. We now eat our greatest sandwiches with local organic bacon.

9. Leah says:

After I saw this movie I went straight home and tried to make that sandwich. Im SO glad Im not the only one!

10. Poltron says:

I am I huge fan of your blog. You've definitely inspired me to start my own. Mine's a little different though. I wrote a short entry about fast food you might enjoy. I love your blog!!!

11. Chef Aimee says:

One of the best eating experiences is warm egg yolk oozing on bread, but you took it to the next level! Delicious! I have yet to see the movie and should…I hear it is wonderful.

12. Treehouse Chef says:

Now thats original!

Regarding your (understandable) distaste for regular store-bought mayo: Have you ever tried Kewpie brand mayonnaise? It's Japanese, and is delicious. I admit I'm biased, b/c I grew up on it, but it is wonderfully rich. Available at Oto's, Koreana supermarkets, and occasionally Cost Plus.

14. Kristina says:

I watched Spanglish movie years ago, and I still think about that sandwich.

15. Tracy says:

My husband LOVED that part of the movie. I just sent this link to him at work. I think it will be on the dinner menu next week. Thanks :)

16. Tori says:

I came across your website on Pinterest and when I saw this, I knew there was a reason why I stumbled upon it. I laughed out loud when I read “he real star of the show (in my opinion) is Thomas Keller’s sandwich, appropriately named “The World’s Greatest Sandwich”. It only has about a 25 second cameo in the film but it’s all I can think about, even 5 days after returning the video to Netflix.” because I know exactly what you mean! When he bites into it and that egg yolk breaks and the look of the bread, my mouth watered..and still does thinking about it! Thank you for posting the recipe for it, as well as all of your other recipes. I run on a tight budged, but I love good food, and love to cook good food! So this blog is definitely one I will follow and recommend.

17. Tori says:

My mistake for the typos :P