Recipe: The Easiest Blackberries & Cream Popsicles EVER

So the company I currently work for has been sold and will no longer be in existence as of this Friday. Though many of my fellow coworkers have been told whether or not the acquiring company will be keeping them on staff, I am the only one who is still in limbo about her employment status. I could be employed with the new company permanently, I could be employed just long enough to train the other folks and be phased out, or I could just have no job at all come next Monday. The announcement was made at the end of last week, so needless to say, we were all blindsided by this. No one is giving me a clear answer as to my job status, and the whole thing is about to make me develop a nervous twitch. Nothing like the great unknown to make you feel like you’re spiraling out of control, n’est-ce pas? I mean, I could have to change the name of this blog to Unemployed Girl Can Actually Eat, and that just doesn’t roll off the tongue as nicely as the current title.

They say that when life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Since I wasn’t really in the mood for lemonade this weekend, I decided to make popsicles instead. Though my favorite desserts are homemade apple pie, cheesecake, and Grand Marnier souffles, I have always and will forever be a fan of frozen confections. Ice cream, sorbet, gelato, fro yo, you name it – if it’s frozen & sweet, I will eat it. Because I have the best mom in the entire universe, I can have popsicles of any kind, as she bought me a great little popsicle-making set a few summers ago. I’ve been able to experiment wildly with different flavor combinations, and I could make an entire site devoted to these frozen concoctions if I were so inclined. Alas, one project at a time is good enough (especially since this project has about 14 satellite projects of its own), so I figured I’d bring my beloved PGEW readers a few of these recipes while summer is still here. The first one being Blackberries & Cream.

I’d hesitated about posting these because they just look a little strange. Then I thought: Darnit, there’s just not enough periwinkle or lilac-colored food in this world, and that’s just a shame. Summer food is usually bright with reds, oranges, and greens, but I think the darker colors of the world should have some face time, too. Besides, just a glance at these popsicles gives you an idea of their rich flavor. They’re sweet with berries and so creamy it hurts, making this the perfect sinful confection to enjoy after a nice summer meal. Or, if you’re like me and crave ice cream & other frozen desserts in the winter, you could enjoy them after a warm, comfy dinner. Regardless, you really can’t go wrong with berries & cream, especially when they require all of 10 minutes to make (excluding freezing time). Those of you who’ve made ice cream or other frozen treats from scratch know that it’s not always that easy. This, combined with the fact that you’ll have flavored pops unlike anything at the store, and that only cost about $0.67/pop, make these desserts just a little sweeter. If one were to follow a traditional recipe for a creamy popsicle with fresh fruit, it would not only take a lot longer to prepare, but it would cost one a lot more than this recipe because of the many ingredients involved. Don’t like blackberries? (shame on you! haha) No worries. Substitute your favorite berry instead and you’ll be just as happy.

PS – Moms & Dads, get the kids involved in this one! Not only will you appreciate the extra help in the kitchen, they’ll have a blast knowing that they’ve made their own dessert AND a complete mess of themselves in the process. (Okay, so maybe that last part isn’t the best selling point to parents, but kids will adore me for this, hahaha.)

The Easiest Blackberries & Cream Popsicles EVER (makes 10 popsicles; total cost per pop: $0.67! Take that, ice cream man!)

1 basket (~ 1 1/2 c) fresh blackberries (you can use frozen ones, but only if you absolutely have to)
Juice of 1 small lemon
1 t sugar
1 can condensed milk (regular, not light! It will ruin the texture)

Rinse the berries well and gently pat dry. In a large bowl, combine the whole berries, lemon juice, and teaspoon of sugar and, using a fork or your (clean) bare hands, mash the berries until they’ve released most of their juice but still have plenty of berry texture. Add the can of condensed milk and stir together until completely combined. Place in popsicle molds, add sticks, and freeze for about 2-3 hours. Don’t have a popsicle mold? Pour the berry & cream mixture into a couple of ice trays and you’ll have twice as many pops that are even more user friendly for tiny tots. Either way, enjoy!
(For those of you who are extremely detail oriented, yes, I did add strawberries to mine. I only had a few left and figured it’d be a fun way to use ‘em and not waste ‘em.)

18 Responses to "Recipe: The Easiest Blackberries & Cream Popsicles EVER"

1. Jenn says:

These look great! I'm sorry about your job, I hope things turn out well.

2. Amy says:

Here's to hoping they retain you…screw'em if they don't…your palate and your strong will will see you through. If you want to come to the midwest (I'm actually in a city!) we have a spare room and grocery shopping is my favorite kind of shopping ;) crossing my fingers, saying my prayers for you!

3. littlemsfoodie says:

Are you kidding me? These look fantastic! The way you come with original recipes, photograph them, and then write something compelling about each one, I can't help but think there must be a publisher out there that could "employ" you to write a book?! BTW, where does one find popsicle molds and wooden sticks?

4. Sal says:

Wow, these popsicles look terrific! I can't believe how simple the recipe is, and relatively healthy too! This is definitely a recipe I'll be trying, just as soon as I make some room in the freezer.

I hope things work out with regard to your job. Please keep us posted.

5. Bryna says:

These look delectable. I agree with littlemsfoodie, you should have a cookbook!!! I would buy it and add it to my cookbooks-i-don't-use-collection (pure laziness…)

6. Gretchen Weiners says:

These look yummy! Good luck with your job :)

Yum! No reason to pay for blackberries if you live in Sacramento. They are free and delicious all along the river.

8. ~Sarah says:

I was reading this and feeling sad that I don't have a popsicle mold (or room for one in my freezer) when I saw the ice cube trick! What an idea! Now I'm just excited to try it!

9. beagle says:

Ohhhh these are making me salivate! *good vibes* on the job situation I hope it turns out in your favor!

Solution to unemployment: publish a book of recipes. I would definitely buy a copy!

Question: sweetened condensed milk, or regular? I could only seem to find sweetened at the store, but that seems like too much sugar..

12. merijoe says:

Find an agent and WRITE a book, girlfriend. Tons of em on the internet.

Heres hoping your next blog will be entitiled, Poor Little Rich Girl.

Thanks for the inspiration and the tips.

13. A Delicate Few says:

I just made this with cherries and I licked the bowl after I poured it! So yummy…I can't even imagine how wonderful it will taste frozen. Thank you so much!

14. SanJusTorres says:

My creation is currently freezing. Yes I had no clue what condensed milk was, yes it is the sweetened one. Yes it scared the living cr@p outta me when I opened the can! lol I was expecting milk, and out came goo. But I proceeded with the recipe and yes I was tempted to lick the bowl after I smelled the mixture like "A Delicate Few" did, but I thought I would wait for the finished

15. krysten says:

what can i use to replace the condensed milk to make these vegan?

you had me at 'blackberries'!! I actually had to get myself a set of popsicle molds just for this (which may initially negate the cost-cutting, but in the long run…yeah, justification is sweet). and purple foods always look and taste best! thanks for this!

17. Fourth of July Recipe Ideas (and some PGEW updates)! | Poor Girl Eats Well -- How to eat ridiculously well on a minuscule budget. says:

[...] all I have to say is… I’m going berry picking tomorrow, so beware!  Blueberry, blackberry and (hopefully) raspberry recipes will surely flood this dear blog of mine for the next few [...]

18. Recipe: Strawberry-Blood Orange Creamsicles | Poor Girl Eats Well — How to eat ridiculously well on a minuscule budget. says:

[...] prompt attention and thought the flavors would complement each other nicely.  Taking cues from my blackberries & cream popsicles, I decided to make this the super easy way with my last can of La Lechera (which, if you’re [...]