Recipe: Tuna Stuffed Avocados

For a couple months now, one of my coworkers and I have been working out every day during lunch. From Billy Blanks Bootcamp to Pilates and ballet workouts, we’ve been very religious about the whole thing, pushing each other when we’re ready to give up, never letting the other quit. Unfortunately, I’m not seeing a darned thing changed on my stupid scale (WHY is this so hard after 30???), but I’m definitely seeing some great results in toning and overall slimming. I love being back in the exercise mode, but this week my buddy and I are taking it easy on the workouts so that we can take care of things that we’ve had to neglect over the past several weeks. Like actually eating lunch, among other things.

Today I thought I’d devote my lunch hour to working on the little surprise I have for you all (it’s coming next month!). Since I knew I’d have the whole hour at my disposal, I decided it would also be a fine day for making something different to eat for lunch. As usual, it’s quick, easy to prepare, and falls under the Look-I’m-Eating-Healthy-During-Regular-Business-Hours category. A slight twist on my Shrimp & Avocado Stuffed Tomatoes, these stuffed avocados pack a big protein & health fat punch that costs about the same as a mini-meal at McDonald’s but is so much better for you. Naturally, if you can find a great deal on avocados ($0.99/each or the killer TJ’s deal of 4 for $3.49), your cost goes way down. Serve these on their own or on a bed of lettuce or fresh spinach, and you have the perfect summer work lunch. Prefer creamier tuna with your avocado? Instead of the Italian dressing alone, combine one tablespoon of nonfat plain yogurt with some of the dressing, whisk well, and voila! Creamy, but healthy tuna.

Tuna Stuffed Avocados (serves 1-2; cost per serving: $2.99)

1 large avocado
1 can of chunk light tuna in water
1/2 medium tomato
2 green onions, chopped
2 T Italian dressing

Chop the tomato and green onions and place in a bowl. Drain the tuna and add it to the chopped veggies. Add the Italian dressing and mix together well. Slice the avocado in half, peel, and seed. Place a couple generous spoonfuls of tuna in the hole left by the seed, drizzle with a bit of extra dressing if you like, and enjoy!

7 Responses to "Recipe: Tuna Stuffed Avocados"

Good for you for posting an easy, healthful lunch. THIS is a meal that many (most?) people do poorly on. Suggest you consider more lunch examples. (Including suggesting leftovers).

BTW, if you're just measuring your "success" working out on the scale, you're missing something essential. You weight may not be changing, but your body composition is. You may have lost

2. Kimberly Alexandra says:

Anon, I know it's not all about the scale! Several years ago I lost 68 lbs and was able to keep it off for 5 years until my car accident. Now I'm just working on whittling away the pesky weight I gained after not being active for awhile. I'm just a little snarky that the results are not coming as quickly as they did in my 20's. I'm making great progress and you're

After a workout it is really important to eat a protein packed meal/snack about an hour afterwards. I forget the scientific reason for this but protein = goodness, and ever since I have started to watch my protein intake, I definitely see more results. Ask a trainer about what techniques they think would work for you as well.

4. lisa golightly says:

Looks like a great recipe … so nice to follow a local blogger ! And don't forget muscle weighs more than fat … throw away that scale and go by how the clothes fit. XOL

This recipe is great! I tried it at home but my husband can't stand canned tuna so I sliced up some fresh tuna steak (on sale) instead. I didn't have Italian dressing on hand so I tossed the mixture with some olive oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper. It was delicious! Thanks PG!

6. Megan says:

This is my new favorite go-to lunch recipe! And I never really cared much for canned tuna. Now if only I can make myself cut back on the Italian dressing 0:)

I absolutely love your site. It's so hard to find recipes that are healthy and simple without a lot of unusual ingredients. I can't wait for more!

I didn't think I liked avacado but this recipe changed my mind. It's so yummy, and it's really quick and easy to make too. I have a lot of filling left over so I'm going to use it in some pitas for a snack!