Chicken and Tomato Stew with Caramelized Lemon sauce
For The Chicken
- 4 pieces chicken leg (thigh and drumstick)
- Salt kosher
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (distributed)
- 1 finely sliced big onion
- 6 halved garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano)
- 3 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, roasted
- 1/2 cup torn mint
- Bread with a flat surface (for serving)
- Season the chicken with salt after patting it dry. Allow at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour to let it rest at room temperature before using (or cover and chill for up to 24 hours).
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken till deep golden brown on all sides (10–12 minutes), adjusting heat as needed to avoid scorching. Remove the chicken to a platter and discard the drippings.
- Stirring onion and garlic often in the pot until softened. Add in honey, tomato paste, turmeric, and cinnamon and cook until scented. Toss in the tomatoes and liquids, and smash with a wooden spoon (2 minutes).
- Return the chicken to your Dutch oven, add the broth (just enough to cover the chicken), and heat to a low simmer (mostly cover the pot with a lid). Reduce heat to low and gently simmer for 70–80 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and fluids thicken.
- Meanwhile, trim the top and bottom of the lemon, seat it on a flat end, and cut it lengthwise into quarters, removing the seeds and white pith from the center. Fill a medium skillet halfway with water and cook for 3 minutes, then drain and wipe dry with paper towels. Transfer to a bowl and stir with sugar to coat.
- Place it over medium-high heat to heat the oil. In a skillet, arrange the lemon slices in a single layer. Cook, flipping halfway through, for about 3 minutes, or until deeply browned in most parts. Take out into the bowl and season with salt.
- Serve the stew in dishes with caramelized lemon, sesame seeds, and mint on top. Enjoy with flatbread, if desired.
Your Own Notes
Related Recipe: Crispy Chicken Thighs With Caramelized Lemons