PGEW.com Celebrates Its 1st Birthday!

It’s weird to think that it’s already been a whole year since I started Poor Girl Eats Well. Truthfully, I never expected it to get this far; I was just having fun writing about food. Though it’s still a relative new kid on this block, PGEW has earned some great successes here & there, even at the tender age of 1. Why am I talking about this like it’s a baby? Because it is; it’s my baby. I have created something that people really respond to and actually thank me for (which is so cool to me!), and it’s so much a part of me that sometimes I wonder why I didn’t start sooner!

For those of you who are new to Poor Girl Eats Well, here are some highlights of the site’s first year:

~ 8/2008: The launch of the little blog that apparently really, really could!
~ 12/2008: PGEW becomes part of the Foodbuzz.com Featured Publisher community, a groovy little honor, a great way to connect with other amazing foodies out there, and the beginning of some cool exposure.
~ 1/2009: Yours truly writes the simple little iReport that started the CNN.com buzz for PGEW, including some CNN Radio interviews! (Though I never was able to get those sound clips to share with everyone…)
~ 2/2009: Two of PGEW’s recipes featured on CNN.com’s article, 10 Meals for $10 or Less, and poorgirleatswell.blogspot.com officially becomes PoorGirlEatsWell.com (aww, yeah…)
~ 3/2009: This time your favorite authoress was featured in the 15 Minutes section of the Sacramento News & Review, where I was hailed as the “Rachael Ray of Blogging”. Not too shabby.
~ 5/2009: The Sacramento Bee features PGEW in a rather large, 2-page spread in their Food & Wine section. VERY awesome!
~ 6/2009: Despite making a few unofficial restaurant reviews, I was invited to do my very first official review at Hawks Restaurant! (And, might I add, if all restaurants are this good and treat me so well, I could definitely get used to the food critic thing!)
~ 8/2009: The first, officially unofficial PGEW book arrives! And it will be even more thrilling once we all get it in our hot little hands (trust me, I’m dying to see it myself!)

Not a bad ride for the first year! I hope that the next 12 months will bring even bigger and better things, and trust me, I have plans! I’ve already been approached for some future workshop & speech engagements, a huge honor for me, as it lets me do one of my very favorite things in this world: help others. Sounds hokey, but it’s true! I will give more details as the date approaches. Of course, there’s also the very biggest plan of all: The official Poor Girl Eats Well book. It’s going to be a huge effort, but it will be well worth it. And this one will definitely be available in major bookstores and retail websites, so stay tuned for that.

On a more personal note, today I interviewed for a new job and I actually scored the gig! I’m still making about the same but I actually end up saving money because it’s just a few blocks from home. Since I know a lot of you have been following my workplace drama these past few weeks, I thought you might enjoy celebrating this new change with me.

As always, I want to give everyone a giant THANK YOU for your support and word-of-mouth! It’s so great to hear stories about people who live on opposite ends of the country tell each other to try this really cool recipe, only to find out they’ve both been reading PGEW! Small world indeed. Anyway, back to doing what I do best! I have some really fun recipes up my sleeve this month! :)

13 Responses to "PGEW.com Celebrates Its 1st Birthday!"

Congrats on the new job
    and
    Happy Birthday PGEW!

Happy 1st Birthday! Thanks for all your amazing work and I look forward to another year!

3. Gretchen Weiners says:

Congratulations on the job and happy birthday to PGEW!

4. Michelle says:

I'm so glad you are employed again! And it might be a bit selfish, I'm also glad you aren't suddenly making boatloads of money so you would forget how to create recipes for poor girls that like to eat well. :)

5. Sal says:

Congratulations! I totally agree with Michelle, though – Please don't stop sharing your excellent low-cost recipes with us!

Happy Birthday PGEW!

6. Kimberly Alexandra says:

Don't be silly, you guys! Of COURSE I won't stop posting fun, affordable recipes! I've grown too fond of doing so to stop anyway. And if I ever do end up with a decent income down the road, I probably won't stop then either! Why should I do that when I know I can still eat fabulously for such small prices? ;)

Lv,
    PG

7. Lisa says:

Happy Birthday!

Kimberly:
    Congrats in the new job and Happy Birthday to PGEW.
    I already ordered the book and cannot wait for its arrival.
    Loyal reader and true fan,
    Teri B

9. SanJusTorres says:

Happy Bday to your blog!! I started reading back when the sacbee did that article. I am also from sac and liked how your blog focused on items that were in season. And I also emailed a link of your blog to a friend down in so cal to share some recipes! lol So thank you for posting all of your fab recipes, as we speak my chicklet (daughter) is making the cheese cake (but no kumquats, using

Happy Birthday and congrats on the new job! What a load off your mind! I found you from the CNN article in Feb and I've really enjoyed the commentary and all of the recipes I've tried. I'm looking forward to the cookbook, the site just doesn't print out quite right for me. :) Keep up the great work.

11. thenakedsingularity says:

Happy Birthday PGEW! :)

Keep up the great work.

12. Coach Marla says:

Happy Birthday to you! I'm inspired by your project (as you know!) and look forward to reading more of your great recipes.

-Marla | @MarlaBeck

p.s. – do you do your own food photography? the shots are wonderful.

13. Anna Warde says:

Kimerly!? You might not remember me but you might remember the fun trip to Reno to see The Pushstars, you, me and Amanda. I saw the spread in the sac bee, and thought! Holy Crap! I know her! It looks like you have made quite a name for yourself. I would love to catch up sometime and since we are both (all three actually) living in mid-town, it could happen! Find me on Facebook and we'll